October 1, 2019
To Help you Pray this month for your Local Mosque Community.
According to information provided by the Canadian Bureau for International Education on its website (www.cbie.ca/) 572,415 international students were studying at all levels of study in Canada in 2018. Of those numbers, 30% were from India and 25% were from China. This number represents a 154% increase from 2010 to 2018 and a 16% increase over the previous year. The fastest growing percentages of countries of origin in 2017-2018 were Bangladesh at +53% and Iran at +48.
The students themselves chose these three top reasons for their choice to study in Canada:
- The quality of the Canadian Education System.
- Canada’s reputation as a tolerant and non-discriminatory society.
- Canada’s reputation as a safe country.
Although religious preferences were not revealed in this information, we can be assured that a substantial number of these international students would self-identify as Muslims. To accommodate Muslim students most universities in Canada provide a special location on campus for prayer. Many local churches are located and do ministry in areas where universities and/or university residences are located. What a wonderful opportunity for Jesus followers to impact international students while they are studying in Canada!
With this information in mind, let’s pray specifically for Muslim international students located in Canada. Pray for Muslim students in your local Mosque community.
- Pray that Christian students at our universities would graciously and boldly demonstrate the love of Jesus and share the good news of Jesus with them.
- Pray that the local churches surrounding our university campuses and residences would have a passion to pray for these students and organize activities to welcome them, provide for their felt needs, and share the good news of Jesus with them.
- Pray that Christian couples and families living in the vicinity of our university campuses and residences may actively welcome international students into their homes and share the love of Jesus with them both in behavior and in words.
- Pray that these students would experience and be profoundly touched by hospitality and care shown by Canadian believers living in their communities. Pray for conversions to Christ.
- Pray that converted international students would return to become effective witnesses of Jesus back in their home countries after their studies in Canada.