A great door has opened
September 3, 2021
How many of us were praying for the Afghan church before August of this year?
How many knew that an Afghan church even exists?
How many had put prayer concerns involving Islam on the back burner?
In the years following the World Trade Center attacks in 2001, Islam was a hot topic in the West with journalists, academics and security forces exploring its relationship with terrorism. The Church was awakened to the need to pray for and engage in mission to the Muslim world, which was greatly neglected in mission budgets. Is it a coincidence that a study published in 2014 by David Garrison (A Wind in the House of Islam) revealed that in the first twelve years of the 21st century, a historic, unprecedented movement of Muslims to Christ took place throughout the House of Islam around the world? Not only the Church was awakened, Muslims were also awakened to the true nature of their faith when applied according to the example and teachings of their prophet.
Paul wrote to the Corinthians that he planned to stay longer than expected at Ephesus "because a great door for effective work has opened to me". He added, "...and there are many who oppose me" (1 Corinthians 16:8-9). Could it be that in the midst of the visible horror and fear oppressing so many Afghans upon the return of the Taliban—who have stated their intention to govern according to Islamic sharia—a great door for the Gospel has opened among Afghans?
Picture Afghanistan, a landlocked nation of 38 million (about the same population as Canada in the size of Alberta) bordered by Iran, Pakistan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan. Despite (or because of) the belligerence of Iran's Islamic government, the Gospel is spreading like wildfire among Iranians. What has God destined for Afghanistan, situated in the midst of these Muslim-majority nations? Could it be that the spiritual power behind Islam has once again overplayed its hand?
"We do, however, speak a message of wisdom among the mature, but not the wisdom of this age or of the rulers of this age, who are coming to nothing. No, we declare God’s wisdom, a mystery that has been hidden and that God destined for our glory before time began. None of the rulers of this age understood it, for if they had, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory. However, as it is written:
‘What no eye has seen,
what no ear has heard,
and what no human mind has conceived’—
the things God has prepared for those who love Him—
these are the things God has revealed to us by His Spirit.”
Let's pray believing that God will do the impossible in Afghanistan.
- Lord Jesus, may our faith reflect who You are!
- May Your Church, led by and filled with Your Holy Spirit, step boldly through this great door to work effectively among Afghan and other Muslims.
- We declare that Afghanistan, known as "the graveyard of empires", will become a graveyard for Islam as its people open up to the Gospel, embrace the life of Christ and are transferred into His Kingdom of light (Colossians 1:13).
- We ask you to assign angels to minister to and guard all those Afghans inside and outside the country whom You have appointed to inherit salvation (Hebrews 1:14).
- Pour out Your Holy Spirit on the infant Afghan Church that they will know the hope to which You have called them, the riches of Your glorious inheritance in the saints, and Your incomparably great power for them (Ephesians 1:18-19a)!
Let God arise, and let His enemies be scattered...may the righteous be glad and rejoice before God (Psalm 68:1-3)!